Davis -- Maj George A Davis


George Davis enlisted in the Air Corps at Lubbock, Texas, in March 1942, and earned his wings and commission while training at four different fields in Texas.

Assigned at the outset as a fighter pilot, he went to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater in August 1943, where he established an enviable combat record with the Fifth Air Force. From that date until March 1945, flying with the 342nd Fighter Squadron of the 318th Group, Davis completed 266 missions for a total of 705 combat hours, destroying seven enemy aircraft and earning the Silver Star, two Distinguished Flying Crosses and nine Air Medals.

He was promoted to first lieutenant and to captain in February and November 1944, respectively. He returned home for peacetime duties as flight commander, air inspector, and jet fighter pilot at bases in Texas, Tennessee, California, New York and Pennsylvania. He was promoted to major in February 1951, and in October went to Korea with the 4th Fighter Interceptor Group, being assigned as commander of its 334th Squadron.

For combat missions in F-86 Sabre jets he earned two more Silver Stars, the Distinguished Service Cross, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, and another Air Medal, in addition to the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry Feb. 10 , 1952, while leading four F-86s on a patrol near the Sinuiju-Yalu River area near the Manchurian Border which cost him his life.

The citation, in part, reads: " . . . Major Davis' element leader ran out of oxygen and was forced to retire from the flight with his wingman accompanying him. Davis and the remaining F-86 continued the mission and sighted a formation of approximately 12 MIG-15 aircraft speeding southward toward an area where friendly fighter-bombers were conducting low-level operations against the Communist lines of communications. With selfless disregard for the numerical superiority of the enemy, Davis positioned his two aircraft, then dove at the MIG formation. While speeding through the formation from the rear, he singled out a MIG and destroyed it with a concentrated burst of fire . . . now under continuous fire, he sustained the attack and fired at another MIG which burst into smoke and flames and went into a vertical dive. Rather than maintain his superior speed and evade the enemy, he elected to reduce his speed and sought out still a third MIG-15. During this latest attack his aircraft sustained a direct hit, went out of control, then crashed into a mountain 30 miles south of the Yalu River. Davis' bold attack completely disrupted the enemy formation, permitting the friendly fighter-bombers to successfully complete their interdiction mission . . his superb courage against formidable odds exemplified valor at its highest."

George Davis was posthumously promoted to lieutenant colonel April 15, 1953.

See the
full citation from the Congressional Medal of Honor Society website.

more information see the National Museum of the USAF website.